The Elders Quorum at our church did a service project this morning and delivered 4 yards of compost to our house today for our garden.
That meant we were finally able to do our early outdoor planting! We spent the afternoon trying to figure out where to plant everything (probably something we should have done sooner!), planting the seeds with the kids' help, and watering. (General Conference was on this afternoon, so we taped that and will watch it later.)
AFTER. We planted on the side that did not have any cardboard. The list: green leaf & bibb lettuce, spring mix lettuce, spinach, cabbage, carrots, celery, leeks, onions (yellow, red and green), turnips, radishes, red leaf lettuce (transplants due to the magic of Lowe's since mine died), sugar snap peas (from seed & transplants, my own this time)
. Here's some of the red leaf lettuce transplants. I can taste the upcoming salad already!
I have some broccoli, spinach, and a couple other items indoors that I can transplant in a week or two. Waiting on the 2nd set of leaves to develop. The spinach takes a long time to bolt (emerge from the seed) and the broccoli, that I thought had died, actually came back to life. Woohoo! After doing the outdoor planting, I also planted some more seeds indoors for transplanting later on after the last frost, which thankfully should be in a couple weeks. They included zucchini & summer squash, green bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower (a breed that is actually yellowish/green instead of the traditional white), and Chinese cabbage.
Daniel helped Joshua plant some of the red leaf lettuce transplants, the blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry bushes, as well as the strawberry plants we had bought (which already have some large strawberries!!!).
Raelee really enjoyed planting her seeds. She was such a great helper!
2 comments:
Thanks for letting us help out with the Garden! It looks great!
No, thank you!!
Post a Comment