Tuesday, August 23, 2011

5.8 QuakBut

Yep, I felt it. Really eerie, to say the least. I'm sitting in my desk at work, discussing a safety program with a coworker, who startled me when she asked if I felt that shaking. I stopped in the middle of my sentence and gave her a strange look. I saw a reflection of a semi truck pass by the window behind me, and for a split second I wondered if it was causing the shaking my coworker had just described.

And then I felt it...the slight rocking motion of the floor beneath me. I lifted my feet and placed them on the wheels of my chair, and could feel the chair gently rocking side to side. I felt a slight wooziness or seasickness sensation as my equilibrium was thrown for a loop.

I looked back at my coworker and said, "Earthquake!"

It was over fairly quickly, lasting around 43 seconds according to news reports. It was definitely odd, not something you expect to feel in Eastern NC.

No damage to the office or to the home. Joshua was standing on concrete at the Base, and he said that he didn't feel anything. The kids didn't say anything about it this evening. But I definitely remember what I felt. It was just so strange. I can still feel it in my mind.

No aftershocks felt as of yet. We are bracing for the possible attack of Hurricane Irene that's working its way towards North Carolina. The models have it pointed towards the I-95 Corridor (in other words, we're close enough to getting a direct hit). Yeah. Nothing like going from one natural disaster to another. ;)