We put up the Christmas tree and decorations this weeked--woohoo! And I'm happy to report that I finally got into the Christmas spirit. This time of year has really snuck up on me. I just can't believe that Thanksgiving has passed and Christmas is on the way. Yikes! Where did the time go?!!
Friday was a holiday for me, and I decided to not go Black Friday shopping. Instead, my goal was to get the Christmas stuff out of the attic, get the tree up and decorated, and put up some of the decorations. I wasn't in the mood to do all the decorations, but I didn't want to not put out anything.
The kids helped me get the ornaments on the tree. That was a first. Daniel has helped Joshua set the tree & lights, but I always did the ornaments. But the kids are both getting older, so I asked Daniel and Raelee if they wanted to help. Duh! Of course, Mom!
Daniel insisted that he wanted to turn the light on in the attic. He got a little nervous going up into the dark attic by himself, but with a few encouraging words, he climbed all the way up and got the light on. He is growing up so fast! He loves helping and doing things that he once was too little for.

First thing was to get the tree put together. We decided to not put the bottom rung of branches on this year. They hang so low to the ground, and it's hard to get presents under the tree.

The branches are color-coded, so the kids took turns handing me the correct branch. I say "took turns" but it was more like trying to outdo each other! They were both eager beavers and kept arguing about who was giving mommy the most branches. They finally calmed down as we got closer to finishing the tree.

Raelee loved the beaded garland! Here she is posing for the camera. What a super model!

And here's Daniel, Raelee & Joshua hooking up the lights to the tree. We added shotshell lights in addition to the white lights. Joshua thought about letting the kids sleep under the tree one night, with the lights on. We'll see. I have this picture in my mind of one or both kids waking up scared and knocking over the tree.

The final result! We had most of the ornaments up by the time the kids went to bed Friday night, and I finished up the remainder as I went through the rest of the boxes. I forgot to take a picture before going to bed, but I got one tonight so I could share it with you.

Here's Santa, who can always be found under the tree. My Great Aunt Millie made one for my mom and her sister & brother when they were very little (I think mom was about 4 years old). When I was growing up, Mom always put Santa under her Christmas tree. I inherited him when she passed away, and have carried on the same tradition of putting him under the tree. I see one of my ornaments decided to join Santa on the floor--gonna have to fix that!

The kids also got to put a tree up in their bedroom. They really got a kick out of that! I had several small ornaments that worked nicely. They decorated the tree all by themselves.

They were both so proud of their ittle tree! They've been sleeping with the Christmas lights on (it's fiber-optic), kind of like a night light. I turn it off before I go to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment